Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

50/70cc Moped aged 16?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

olster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:16 - 12 Nov 2015    Post subject: 50/70cc Moped aged 16? Reply with quote

So im 15 atm and when i turn 16 in a couple of months im looking to ride a 50/70cc moped.

Ive ridden a motocross bike for 8 years so i have some knowledge about bikes.

I understand that a moped for a 16 year old must be restricted to 31mph and under 50cc.

Ive seen and know plenty of people who are 16 with mopeds that definitely do more than 31mph and some people i know have mopeds that have 70cc engines that are stamped 49cc.

My question is: what would happen if the police caught you doing over 31mph on both a 50 and 70
and: can police tell if you have a 70cc moped if you are doing under 31mph

I understand that my questions are probably a bit confusing however i want this question of mine to be cleared up

Thanks alot

p.s. Im very new to this website so i dont know if im posting in the correct place :/

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 12 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they can't tell what engine size it is and probably wouldn't even have a close enough look to see if it's stamped at 70cc.

However, there are two risks.
-it's not unheard of for the police to turn up at a 6th form or a college with a rolling road in a van and dish out tickets for anything that's going over 50kmph.
-if you crash it, the insurance investigator will look at the engine. If you've completely replaced it, that's an undeclared modification and therefore void insurance, which will be very expensive.

So basically, yes you can, but you shouldn't and you'd be better off just putting up with it and moving up to a 125 after a year.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 12 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just illegal and asking for trouble unless you get away with it. Wait until you can get a 125. Otherwise you will probably end up with massive fines

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 12 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
It's just illegal and asking for trouble unless you get away with it. Wait until you can get a 125. Otherwise you will probably end up with massive fines

Not to mention screwing up your licence history and insurance costs.

All for the sake of a few MPH....

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 12 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police clock you doing 35mph for a few hundred metres.
Possibilities are:

Driving other than in accordance with your licence - fine + points.
Driving without insurance - bigger fine and lots of points.
Failure to inform the DVLA that you've changed the vehicle from a moped to a motorcycle - fine and points.
Unroadworthly vehicle - bye bye bike and walk home.

The real killer is the insurance because you have to inform insurers of motoring convictions, usually for up to five years, so is it work the risk when it could result in your first car costing you perhaps £10,000 a year or more to insure? And don't even think of not telling them, that's fraud - criminal record, bloody great big fine if you're lucky.

Being sixteen is an affliction that only lasts for 365 days (except in leap years), once your over it you can legally ride something twice as fast and four times as powerful, so put up with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 23:23 - 12 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done it, got away with it.
But I know people who were not so lucky.
When I was 16, the police were less kitted out for testing, and to be honest, they cared a lot less as there were a lot less of us on the road.

My second moped was actually a Speedfight 100 back end, stuffed into a Speedfight 50cc frame.
Much more reliable than a 70cc bore kit and race exhaust.
Hell of a lot quieter too.
But, not quite as fast.
It still did 50mph though.

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:33 - 12 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law says '50cc and designed to only do 28mph. (and other power stuff)'

Despite what the police will try and tell you, if they nick you doing more than 28mph it doesn't stop it being a moped and your insurance and licence is still valid because it was designed to do no more than 28 mph.

What makes it in breach of your licence and insurance is increasing the engine capacity above 50cc. Even 51cc stops it being a moped.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 13 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thoughts when reading your opening post were along the lines of 'what a cock-end' and I was about to tell you what an irresponsible tosser you are. I held back though when I realised that that would have made me a hypocrite as I owned, and rode around on, a Yamaha YDS5 and a Suzuki T20 when I was just 15 years old Embarassed
As you were.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 13 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Being sixteen is an affliction that only lasts for 365 days (except in leap years), once your over it you can legally ride something twice as fast and four times as powerful, so put up with it.

2016 is a leap year. Unlucky.
Even worse, poor sod has to wait another three-and-a-bit years until he can ride anything worth having.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 13 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Despite what the police will try and tell you, if they nick you doing more than 28mph it doesn't stop it being a moped and your insurance and licence is still valid because it was designed to do no more than 28 mph.

Citation please.
You could argue that if the moped has been modified in order to exceed 28mph then the owner has designed it to do so, so it's a motorcycle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:17 - 13 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Citation please.

Actually... that's a good question.

The Euro definition comes from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:403:0018:0060:EN:PDF and https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32002L0024&from=EN but where's the UK implementation?

The Man says:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-the-driving-licence-and-categories

"AM Moped - 2-wheel vehicles or 3-wheel vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h and not more than 45km/h. Light quadricycle With an unladen mass of not more than 350kg, not including the mass of the batteries in the case of electric vehicles, whose maximum design speed is over 25km/h and not more than 45km/h."

But where's the actual regulation backing that?

It's not in The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2864/made

It should be in the The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 2012

But I can't see it. It defines A1, A2 and "A3", but not AM that I can see. It does define old category P mopeds as having a "maximum design speed exceeding 45 kilometres per hour but not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour".

Technical objection? Yes, but it's a technical offence.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 13 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you live too.
If you live in an inner city area with lots of crime and wear trackies you'll be at higher risk, especially with the token cut down or missing L plates.

Smaller town/countryside and wear textile jacket and full size L plates, doubt it'd be a problem.

olster wrote:

I understand that my questions are probably a bit confusing however i want this question of mine to be cleared up

Don't flatter yourself. You aren't the only child to come on here and ask probability of getting caught for illegal activities, and we are generally a fairly bright bunch.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:30 - 13 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was starting out on 2 wheels I purchased a brand new aprilia habana 50cc. As far as I know it was standard from the dealer, still 'restricted' and it did a genuine 42mph.... No idea how. I can only guess I somehow got a derestricted version Thinking

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 13 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
Back when I was starting out on 2 wheels I purchased a brand new aprilia habana 50cc. As far as I know it was standard from the dealer, still 'restricted' and it did a genuine 42mph.... No idea how. I can only guess I somehow got a derestricted version Thinking

that modle comes with a turbo charged speedo ... Thumbs Up

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:51 - 13 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Cadbury wrote:

that modle comes with a turbo charged speedo ... Thumbs Up

I say 'genuine' but as this was before commonplace GPS, it was however verified by a friends dt125 and the fact that it was muuuuuuuch faster than another friends suzuki a50 that did top out at 30. Razz

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 13 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:

I say 'genuine' but as this was before commonplace GPS, it was however verified by a friends dt125 and the fact that it was muuuuuuuch faster than another friends suzuki a50 that did top out at 30. Razz

i had a DT125E .. thats the one with the electric start ... reg.. MBR401T
and its speedo told lies Very Happy

since i`ve got a GPS.. all bikes i`ve fitted it too over read by 96/90 divide speedo reading by 1.0666667 which would give your ped a top speed of 39.374mph ... tef would be impressed Laughing

and ap50 i towed one once with my lawson replica with a washing line we pinched ... been banned from lanchester ever since Wink

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:18 - 16 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
All for the sake of a few MPH....

Keeping in mind this was a 50cc Chinese scooter...specifically a Baotian BT49-QT20C;

https://i.imgur.com/CWVLvLml.jpg

It's more than a few MPH. Speedometer was fairly accurate, 70+mph was a regular thing on flat bits of road. The best I ever managed was indicating just past 80mph, with a speedometer that was surprisingly accurate compared to GPS data. I make that quicker than a few 125cc bikes...really do wish I'd run it up a final time on the GPS with the bigger carburetor, however at that point the gearing on the final drive was becoming a limiting factor in top speed.

OP ought to read this.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4080736#4080736

It's also worth noting that this thing made more noise than most big bikes, and was ridden everywhere with no L plates in an area asking for a pull. Never had any issues whatsoever.

Edit; I'll also add that the restriction on the Chinese bikes is purely electronic. All one would have to do is wire a simple toggle switch into the line from the sensor on the transmission housing and you could simply click the restrictor on/off whenever you saw the plod.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 16 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you bothered about an extra 20mph(or what ever the extra speed is)?

Is it to impress your mates?
To have that extra speed?

Also, why bother if you are used to offroad bikes? Which are probably more fun and definitely faster.

IMO, you'll just run a risk of points/fines and waste your money doing the bike up, when all you have to do is wait a little while.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:25 - 16 Nov 2015    Post subject: Re: 50/70cc Moped aged 16? Reply with quote

Im 16 and did ride a de restricted 50cc,never had a problem.Got caught speeding at 40mph and nothing happened.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Last edited by rhys99 on 19:51 - 16 Nov 2015; edited 1 time in total
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 16 Nov 2015    Post subject: Re: 50/70cc Moped aged 16? Reply with quote

MrGs1 wrote:
rhys99 wrote:
Im 16 and ride a de restricted 50cc,never had a problem.Got caught speeding at 40mph and nothing happend.

Not really something to be spouting about on a public forum.

He's practically handed himself in Rolling Eyes

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 16 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Iain's gently modded, smooth and quiet ped+ a touch more poke, would get nearly as much Po Po attention as those Italian kids must attract in town with their 38bhp 125cc KTM's, Husqvarna's, Fantic's and TM's etc. Laughing

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 16 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are we still bothering on this topic. No thanks from him and are still talking to ourself haha

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:50 - 16 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that when somebody necros it in 3 years it'll have more content.

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:26 - 16 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It's not in The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999

It should be in the The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 2012

But I can't see it. It defines A1, A2 and "A3", but not AM that I can see. It does define old category P mopeds as having a "maximum design speed exceeding 45 kilometres per hour but not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour".

Technical objection? Yes, but it's a technical offence.

The 2012 version isn't available online, both your links are to the same document (the unmodified 1999 version). However, the explanatory note for the 2012 amendment states the following so you were correct...
Quote:
Amendments to the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 7.7 Changes are made by the 3rd Directive to the categories and sub-categories of vehicles for licensing purposes and the 1999 Regulations (in particular Schedule 2) are amended to reflect these. Similarly, as mentioned in paragraph 7.5, changes are also made to vehicle definitions in section 108 of the 1988 Act. The 3rd Directive introduces for the first time a European ‘moped and light quadricycles’ category, namely AM, and correspondingly the definition of moped in section 108 of the 1988 Act is amended and a definition ‘light quadricycles’ is added. The 1999 Regulations are also amended to include references to category AM. Category AM covers vehicles with a maximum design speed of not more than 45km per hour. Since category AM mopeds excludes those which cannot exceed 25km per hour and also those which can exceed 45km but not 50km per hour, national categories Q and P respectively are introduced to allow these vehicles still to be licensed and ridden. The 3rd Directive provides for existing driving entitlements to be preserved.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2