Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do you download movies ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:45 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
You play with your xbox usefull for one thing an still not very good at that.

Ill keep using my keyboard mouse an pc

Both please.

The XBox is very good for games. PC is good for everything else. I found it to be far too expensive to try and keep up with the latest PC parts, and mine still plays CS:S ok, despite being a couple of years old now.

I've seen various applications (Word, IE, Adobe) work on the XBox, with a mouse and keyboard attached, and they all perform perfectly well. Far better than on a PC built at the same point in time, for around £200.

I would love to see you put together a decent PC for the price of an XBox. Even if all it did was play games, I reckon you might get Asteroids to work, but that'd be it Laughing

Thread title was "Do you download movies ?" - Yes, yes I do.

Cheers

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:57 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I guess we can just agree to disagree on this issue then.

HerbalDayZ and Ste, while I see your points and do genuinely understand your viewpoint, I don't agree that this is a victimless crime. Whilst you might only download "games you dont want" (which I still think is contradictory) others do download games they do want, and regularly.

Now, ok, it doesn't exactly *ruin* our business, and I still get paid at the end of the day, but it does significantly hit our business that we have to make contingency plans and attempt anti-piracy, which is often ineffectual and expensive, yet necessary to stop day 0 releases.

It's real nice for your karma to think that no-one is hurt by piracy, but remember that games are the cheapest now than they've ever been, take longer to make than they ever did, and cost more to make than ever before too. They're also a lot more popular which is how this is counter-balanced.

Piracy *is* hurting the industry, but thankfully the industry is strong enough on the whole to survive. However, with the spread of the internet and the ease of access to illegal software now this won't always be the case, and you'll probably see more and more game and software developers going the way of the dodo.

Chris

Edit - Grammar
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
HerbalDayZ wrote:
I hate consoles there a rip off an my c would piss over any recent console Thumbs Up

Your £600 PC would NOT piss on an Xbox 360.

I'm running an Athlon 64 3200+, 2 GIG of Dual Channel DDR RAM and a 7800GTX and COD2 looks better on my PC than it does on the 360 to be honest.

I know they both have there flaws and what not, but in my opinion the 360 will NEVER have the online capabilities the PC has.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Why's it just as bad?

I took it back, said I had completed it and I was bored of it, and they gave me my money back. I was honest and didn't decieve them in any way.

How is that illegal?

Yeah, but then isn't that the same as downloading it, playing it till your bored and then deleting it?

At the end of the day, the company have made no money out of you, yet you've played and completed there game.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but the difference is that I didn't use an illegal method to get the game in the first place, and I'm pretty sure they place wouldn't of given me my money back if it was illegal Razz

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:54 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex wrote:
I'm running an Athlon 64 3200+, 2 GIG of Dual Channel DDR RAM and a 7800GTX and COD2 looks better on my PC than it does on the 360 to be honest.

How good's your TV? how big's your PC monitor? There's lots of reasons why it might look better on your PC.

Reflex wrote:
At the end of the day, the company have made no money out of you, yet you've played and completed there game.

If anything, you could argue that downloaders cause less problems. By taking it back to the shop you've used up their staff's time twice, made them fill out return forms, and taken a penny off them for good measure.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, because millions of pounds have been spent on campaigns advising people that taking back games is wrong. Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:01 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex wrote:
Yeah, but then isn't that the same as downloading it, playing it till your bored and then deleting it?

By buying it, playing it and then returning it I can see how that would could the company money whilst if it's downloaded there is no cost to anyone apart from the people pirating it.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:02 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TobyR wrote:
Yeah, because millions of pounds have been spent on campaigns advising people that taking back games is wrong.

RobB wrote:
If anything, you could argue that downloaders cause less problems. By taking it back to the shop you've used up their staff's time twice, made them fill out return forms, and taken a penny off them for good measure.

Maybe they should.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Yeah, because millions of pounds have been spent on campaigns advising people that taking back games is wrong. Rolling Eyes

Thing is, you've completely contradicted your argument really.

Your saying downloading games is wrong (and I agree), and that people who do are taking money from the coders, yet it's OK to go to a shop and buy it, take it home and complete it and then get your money back on it because your bored of it. You've basically just stolen that software there, as I said earlier neither the retailer or the coders have made any from you, yet you've played there game.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, probably returning a used game costs them more than someone downloading it off the net.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stolen it? Have I fuck...

The game was obtained by legitimate means, and returned under legitimate means...

Unlike downloading off of the net, which is illegal.

I then spent the money on another game, so couldn't give two shits tbh, not my fault there wasn't any form of longevity in the game whatsoever.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Stolen it? Have I fuck...

The game was obtained by legitimate means, and returned under legitimate means...

Unlike downloading off of the net, which is illegal.

I then spent the money on another game, so couldn't give two shits tbh, not my fault there wasn't any form of longevity in the game whatsoever.

Fact is, you've probably cost the retailer money, as more than likely they'll have to sell it as pre-owned.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, as far as I know, returning games isn't as widespread a problem as illegal downloading of software.

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:17 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the problem here is that, lets face it, people don't generally return games, even though the system supports it.

The thing you've got to remember is that generally speaking pirates dont buy any games at all. So here's the thing...

People who want the game and buy the game = legal and giving games companies justified cash.
People who want the game and download it = illegal and not giving games companies their justified cash.
People who don't want the game and download it. = illegal, but not actually swindling the companies out of money because they wouldn't have bought it anyhow

My biggest problem lies with the middle one, which in my experience most people are. The bottom one is what most people pretend to be - "Oh, I have the money but I wouldn't have bought it anyway..." Generally speaking that's bollocks, people download games to play them because they want to, not because 'its available'.

If that was the case the freeware and open source games scene would be booming, but its not, it's shit.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBoyChris wrote:

I'm sorry man, but I disagree here being on the receiving end. I've spent 5 years working in my company, working on the Project Gotham Racing series amoung other things. When I've put my heart and soul into a game, I expect people who want the game to buy it and people who don't want to game to either not buy it or take it back if they're unhappy.

Have you ever gone above the speed limit? Because the government puts there heart & soul into making sure our drivers respect this law, they also expect you to abide by it & if you can't then they suggest you do not drive?

I'm pretty sure you don't go the speed limit as no one really does especially on you're nsr, this is the same as downloading, you can't have it both ways.
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 20:14 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TUT TUT !!!
Downloading is naughty!
You would never catch me doing that kind of thing.
And never catch me advertising it on a public forum aswell.

Oh yes and anybody who uses Torrents as his main supplier of games and movies etc etc has a long way to go.

"If a film is stolen an changed it is removed if its crap it is slammed (basically banned an tells people its crap) ."

The term you are looking for is nuked

"You can also see the ripper i.e maverick or jacktherIPPeR these are ripper coders "

Again the term you are looking for is the group, rippers very rarly work alone and they advertise their group.

"These are the main torrent sites i use an tbh is all you need "

But have you ever thought about who supplys torrents ?

Any way you carry on playing at being a copy master, have fun.

Last edited by daz|n00by on 20:27 - 23 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last reply, I really can't be arsed anymore.

Compared to prices of other popular software, windows is cheap as fuck.

Not many people I know mind paying £90 for a copy of the O/S, I know a few professional system builders that just factor it in to every build they do.

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:30 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misc wrote:
Have you ever gone above the speed limit? Because the government puts there heart & soul into making sure our drivers respect this law, they also expect you to abide by it & if you can't then they suggest you do not drive?

I'm pretty sure you don't go the speed limit as no one really does especially on you're nsr, this is the same as downloading, you can't have it both ways.

I'm arguing against the people who knowingly do it and think that it's their god given right, or that it's not hurting anyone.

Yes I have gone over the speed limit, but I don't then try and justify this by saying "Well, they shouldn't make bikes go so fast if they didn't want me over the speed limit..."

I hold my hand up and say, yeah, I made a decision to go over the speed limit, did something illegal and I was a dick.

People who download stuff and then try and justify it in some way piss me off. You're stealing, you're doing something illegal, don't try and dress it up in anyway because you're not kidding anyone but yourselves. Carry on by all means, but don't expect to persuade me that somehow you're entitled to do so, because frankly you aren't.

Quote:
I wanted nothing in return but the pleasure to feel i have contributed in some way .

All companies are effected by it in a major way, look it up.

Quote:
I also said i do NOT encourage piracy but i do agree with it !!!

What. The. Fuck. You made a thread about it telling people exactly how to do it! If that's not encouragement I don't know what is, LOL Laughing

Chris

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:

Daz i dont only use torrents personaly but some stuff i use would be much harder for the beginner DC++ .

DC++ is search into a text box, right click and download. How is that difficult?
You remind me of those people who sit in the pub and discuss nothing but crap they read in PC magazines and try to pass it off as their own knowledge.

In fact, were you in my local last month discussing Digital Video Discs? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 14:43 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Daz i dont only use torrents personaly but some stuff i use would be much harder for the beginner .i.e Mirc strongDCC ++ ftps .

I dont claim to know it all and i dont claim to be a copy master m8 but if thats the best you can offer as a source then you really are a long way behind the big boys.

I,l try to give you another clue, were do you think all that stuff that you download from dc++ Mirc and torrents comes from?

I,m not trying to knock you down m8 and maybe you do have good dc++ hubs and maybe you know the odd one or two people, but you really are acting nieve if you think that the people who fill DC++ hubs with stuff are from the scene, infact if you dig deeper you may find out that most of the real scence are shutting hubs down for claiming they are the rippers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4