Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Average prices/earnings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:00 - 01 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
yeah but that will be covered by how much either goes up in value

Only when you sell one, at which point (not being a main house) you will get hammered with tax, added to which you have the running costs of the house.

Oh, and if you are renting it then it is income to be taxed.

All the best

Keith

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my gran bought her first and only house in the 1920's it cost her £200 Shocked When she eventually passed away last Febuary (RIP Gran) it was sold for £165,000. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xlizx
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:19 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My folks got their place for about £47.5 K in 1995, it had been repossessed and was an utter shithole, no carpet, nails stickig up off the floor etc. Now its worth about £250,000 because they've tarted it up, and my area's become desireable.
Me and the bloke will have to rent, no chance of ever being able to afford a place down here.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:20 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
colin1 wrote:
yeah but that will be covered by how much either goes up in value

Only when you sell one, at which point (not being a main house) you will get hammered with tax, added to which you have the running costs of the house.

Oh, and if you are renting it then it is income to be taxed.

All the best

Keith

houses dont cost that much to run, and you still make a profit even after tax, running costs, interest etc and as i already mentioned, you can release the equity in a house at any time by taking out a cheap loan or remortgaging. You dont have to wait until you sell it.

i think we are going round in circles. You will now say that the interest on a loan/remortgage is a lot. I will say its not compared to how much the house appreciates in value. You will say that you dont get that until you sell the house etc

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:21 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

xlizx wrote:
My folks got their place for about £47.5 K in 1995, it had been repossessed and was an utter shithole, no carpet, nails stickig up off the floor etc. Now its worth about £250,000 because they've tarted it up, and my area's become desireable.
Me and the bloke will have to rent, no chance of ever being able to afford a place down here.

if you wanted to get your foot on the property ladder, you could always move somewhere where houses are cheap.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:48 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
houses dont cost that much to run, and you still make a profit even after tax, running costs, interest etc.

They do cost a fair amount. Certainly not free (especially council tax and the like).

colin1 wrote:
and as i already mentioned, you can release the equity in a house at any time by taking out a cheap loan or remortgaging. You dont have to wait until you sell it.

You do not release the equity. You merely risk the equity for a very marginally lower interest rate.

colin1 wrote:
i think we are going round in circles. You will now say that the interest on a loan/remortgage is a lot. I will say its not compared to how much the house appreciates in value. You will say that you dont get that until you sell the house etc

It isn't a lot at the moment, but house prices can (and do) go down (I finally sold a house a few years ago which had taken well over a decade to get back up to its original purchase price, overall a loss of about 2/3 the value of the house, about how much it would cost to rent). House prices are high at the moment, not sure if they will go higher (or may even crash, probably not likely).

The main way a house is an investment for the owner is that once the mortgage is paid off then your "rent" is far cheaper every month. You cannot get money from the house without selling it (which means buying again, or renting if your main house).

All the best

Keith

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
Blair earns £163k a year which by industry standards is bugger all.

My bosses get more than that for their annual bonuses! Never mind their salaries!

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 12:36 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
You cannot get money from the house without selling it (which means buying again, or renting if your main house).

ok i'll put it another way

if you know the value of your net assetts including your house, you can feel comfy getting a loan knowing your assetts are worth more than you liabilities (debts).
To me this is just the same as making a withdrawal from a savings account but other people dont see it that way.
My net worth is the balance of my account.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 12:39 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:
Silver wrote:
Blair earns £163k a year which by industry standards is bugger all.

My bosses get more than that for their annual bonuses! Never mind their salaries!

that £163k is just his salary
im sure he has other sources of income

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:05 - 03 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
if you know the value of your net assetts including your house, you can feel comfy getting a loan knowing your assetts are worth more than you liabilities (debts).

Maybe, but if you are using it to buy another house then you had better hope that is already true.

Personally the saving in interest rate is so small I would not be keen on taking the extra risk (and the only reason there is a saving is because the loan company know that they can seize your house to pay off your debt).

colin1 wrote:
To me this is just the same as making a withdrawal from a savings account but other people dont see it that way.
My net worth is the balance of my account.

Trouble is that it is a savings account that can easily loose your home if you get it wrong, and which ultimatly only pays out when you die.

colin1 wrote:
that £163k is just his salary
im sure he has other sources of income

He would need to, having a mortgage for several million pounds.

All the best

Keith

Yoshi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:40 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't read all the thread but we bought a terraced house for £20K circa 1996 (and this wasn't extraordinary, it was the average price for the area at the time). The same tenant has been living in it for around 10 years, and her rent pays for the mortgage each month, plus a couple of quid extra.

We now own the house outright, the mortgage has been paid off, and it is worth £120-150K. Plus we are getting the cash from the tenant to keep now, and we don't do any maintenance or anything, leave it up to her.

Hence, you can't argue that property isn't an investment. Done properly with good understanding and analysis of the market it can be very profitable.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:30 - 08 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Personally the saving in interest rate is so small I would not be keen on taking the extra risk (and the only reason there is a saving is because the loan company know that they can seize your house to pay off your debt).

not all loans are secured loans where your house is at risk. there are also unsecured loans

Yoshi wrote:
Haven't read all the thread but we bought a terraced house for £20K circa 1996 (and this wasn't extraordinary, it was the average price for the area at the time). The same tenant has been living in it for around 10 years, and her rent pays for the mortgage each month, plus a couple of quid extra.

We now own the house outright, the mortgage has been paid off, and it is worth £120-150K. Plus we are getting the cash from the tenant to keep now, and we don't do any maintenance or anything, leave it up to her.

Hence, you can't argue that property isn't an investment. Done properly with good understanding and analysis of the market it can be very profitable.

cool, just the encouragment i need Smile although im not sure all tenants wd do the maintnance, sounds like u have a good un

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:56 - 08 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
not all loans are secured loans where your house is at risk. there are also unsecured loans

No, but a remortgage of your house is certainly secured on the property, putting it at risk.

All the best

Keith

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 21 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for everyone in this situation, it must be very hard.

I wouldn't be able to afford my house now on its value and the 2.5 times my salary. When I bought the house about 10 years ago, it was about 50K.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:22 - 21 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
I wouldn't be able to afford my house now on its value and the 2.5 times my salary. When I bought the house about 10 years ago, it was about 50K.

Pretty much the same here. However interest rates are very low now (when I bought my first house they went up to almost 3 times what they are now after a few months, currently a bit over 5% while they reached 15% for a short time). Mortgages certainly seem to be given away for far higher amounts for peoples incomes these days.

If interest rates go up much there will be some people in serious trouble.

All the best

Keith

chrisw
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 21 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Pretty much the same here. However interest rates are very low now (when I bought my first house they went up to almost 3 times what they are now after a few months, currently a bit over 5% while they reached 15% for a short time). Mortgages certainly seem to be given away for far higher amounts for peoples incomes these days.

I've as yet not bought a house (currently renting) but I was under the impression that a mortgage of 5x your salary was about as high as should be allowed to take into account future interest rate rises. But apparently there have been mortgages of 9 - 10x the person’s salary being handed out.

I may be wrong with those numbers, but its just seems like financial suicide to take on that kind of debt!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:11 - 21 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Tend to agree. Not sure how much interest rates are likely rise.

Quick Google for self certified mortgages and found [url=https://www.mortgages.tv/useful-tools/mortgage-calculator.php]this[/ulr] (first one I found, probably far worse). Basically they seem to give 8 times income (and as that is self certified people will probably fiddle the figures to get even more). Say someone is on £30k then they can have £237k. That is about £1k a month in interest. Hell of a large percentage of their post tax income.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3