Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Random PDA/geek question.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Random PDA/geek question. Reply with quote

I'm just starting to experiment with the world of PDAs, aquired a Mitac "Mio 338" to play with, currently marked as running "Pocket PC 2002 premium" (which I gather is "Windows Mobile 2002" by another name?). Is it possible to install Windows Mobile 2003 onto any PDA running PPC2002 (comments I've been finding around the web seem to think so), and more importantly, where the hell does one find a copy of WM2003, none of my usual sources or sites seem to have it as available.

Any advice appreciated, this mobile computing malarkey is dashed confusing. Give me a straight forward network setup any day, at least most software is only known by one name Confused

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point in going from 2002 to 2003. If any, I would suggest getting Windows Mobile 5 and using ActiveSync 4.

If you were running a Dell Axim I could get you a copy, but as you are not, I can't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assuming there were some differences between 2002/2003, seeing quite a few seperate driver versions (been looking for an SDIO wifi card, most seem to state WM2003 required).

impaler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:14 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

m99dws wrote:
No point in going from 2002 to 2003. If any, I would suggest getting Windows Mobile 5 and using ActiveSync 4.

From my personal experience I wouldn't recommend WM5 to anyone (yet) - the majority of software written for WM2003 won't run on it and it was very slow generally until I installed an updated ROM released by T-Mobile recently. Activesync 4 is a bit of a pig too. You can't sync over a network anymore and it's taken much hard resetting and un/reinstalling of Activesync before it would let me sync with two computers properly... very annoying Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:41 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get 2003 for my Ipaq5450 so I can use Skype on it. Can't find it anywhere though.

If anyone has any fun games or anything, could you please let me know what they are? I'm trying to find something to pass time on my night shifts.

Rick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

impaler wrote:
m99dws wrote:

From my personal experience I wouldn't recommend WM5 to anyone (yet) - the majority of software written for WM2003 won't run on it and it was very slow generally until I installed an updated ROM released by T-Mobile recently. Activesync 4 is a bit of a pig too. You can't sync over a network anymore and it's taken much hard resetting and un/reinstalling of Activesync before it would let me sync with two computers properly... very annoying Evil or Very Mad

Sync over the network was removed at the request of a majority of its users for increased security reasons.
Have had no issues with WM5 on an X50/51's so far, although I would probably stick with the default OS of an X30.

There is a rollback from the WM5 ROM to 2003 if required.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude you should have got either a mda vario or mda pro!

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 06 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
Dude you should have got either a mda vario or mda pro!

Mio = Free...

Just a question of learning enough to make it do what I want (WiFi control handset for media/music and a number of X10 units in the lighting circuit).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1