Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap Roller Garage Doors - Advice needed. -updated-

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:58 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Cheap Roller Garage Doors - Advice needed. -updated- Reply with quote

Roller Garage Doors - Advice needed.

Anyone had/used/installed a cheap roller garage door off ebay?

Finally looking to sort mine.
Was looking at something along the lines off a gliderol one linky

Will be fitting it myself, if possible I'll go for the electric option as well.

Last edited by G on 22:42 - 19 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:34 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be amazed how quick you can get through those.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:38 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I can only usually eat half of one before I'm stuffed.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:51 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

A whole load slower than you can get through my current one, I'd be willing to bet Neutral.

I've got a garage alarm, should soon have CCTV and the garage is connected to the builing (though I don't have interal access Sad.)

I'm mostly doing it so that a) the current door doesn't fall off and land on my bikes and b) I've got a bit more space than the current up-and-over.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thin cheap roller shutter type are to flexible, you can almost pull them off with your hands and a nudge from a car often does the trick.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:43 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
The thin cheap roller shutter type are to flexible, you can almost pull them off with your hands and a nudge from a car often does the trick.

As mentioned; I don't really care on this aspect. Cheers for your thoughts, sorry should have said that I was more looking for advice relating to installation; it's useful to know they won't be that secure, but I wasn't expecting them to be either.

I am buying this for convienience and for the sake of it not falling on my bikes. It will be more secure than my current door, but that is largerly irrelevant.
At the moment I have to be careful sneasing near my current door for fear of it collapsing!

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does side-step your question but you could just opt for their full installation service?

I'm thinking fitting it yourself (just you?) would be a fairly big task...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:12 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming I'm posting this in the correct thread (so may choices, so little time Wink)....

No direct experience but a quick google did come up with this ckicky link on DIY installation.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:27 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full isntallation = Money.

I'm a tight git when it comes to paying other people to do stuff that I can do myself. Will be able to get help anyway.
Was considering it, and trying to work out costs (ie time I would get paid etc, but I reckon it should be a load cheaper if I can collect and fit it myself.)

One guide I read suggested hanging a rope down with a lot of knotted loops. Then you move the roller section up the loops in the rope one bit at a time - so shouldn't be too much hassle in that respect.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:00 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

a house has been refurbed near me and the garage door has been replaced with the kind of security roller shutter you get on shops

probably quite cheap and very secure

he has painted it instead of leaving it bare metal as shops do. It look quite good and most ppl wdnt know it was actually a shop roller shutter.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:25 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shop ones are generally tougher and more expensive I believe.

Was looking for the rolflex ones earlier. A few quid more, but I can collect which should save me money and would be better as I would be looking to do it next week, while others may not be able to deliver by then.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:30 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just ggogled and found some shop ones for £482 inc free delivery so im sure there are cheaper ones

https://www.arrowsecurityshutters.co.uk/shop_front_roller_shutters.htm

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:32 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ebay some the places that do garage doors do that sort of thing as well, but charge more for it.

Cheers for the thoughts, anyway.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:47 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Rolflex one in the end.

Had an 'interesting' time fitting it.
All fairly simple (though I didn't bother checking that both sides were the correct height using a 'water level') until we came to the part relating to pulling it down then wedging it open while installing the stops.
See figure c the instructions say. Of course there's no figure c, an 'a' and a 'b', but no 'c'. We try to wedge it anyway, for it loose it's self and unwind a bit.
Four hours of trying to get it wound back and we give up, screwing some wood blocks into garage frame to make it appear shut then pulling my self on elbows under the small opening left.

The next day we get the door off the brackets and lay it on some old blankets to roll it up better. After ten attempts or so we get a good one, so strap it up with tie downs and start again.
This time we don't bother with the chock and get people to hold it down by hand.
We change the order of the installation a bit and get the runners in before undoing the tiedowns. It goes in well enough, so we complete it fairly quickly.

Only other problem was that they managed to not cut the holes for the lock in the rails. This means that you can't leave it down, as it just rolls straight back up.
Eventually I drill some holes in the right place and it all works fine.

Apart from the missing instruction and the hole that wasn't, it was pretty straight forward to install. I didn't do all the precise measuring which they said was important, may have just been lucky it working, though.

Doesn't appear to be amazing for security, but I have other arangements for that and it's better than my old one.
I paid £280 for it, collected. They got it ready in about a week after a bit of hassling.

Much thanks to Goose for sharing the pain, as well as Danny / Dusty / Bendy.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job mates don't charge by the hour eh! Razz

Glad you managed to get it sorted! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1