Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Never ending work update

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Never ending work update Reply with quote

Ok so I'm looking for another job , thing is since I left in dispute should I stick that job on my CV since I didn't exactly leave on good terms.

To add to the previous thread , I went to clean out my desk supervised by 2 people who watched me and I was being filmed on CCTV and pick up my pay cheque for the last week (I usually leave it since on a Friday afternoon the earliest opportunity I can cash the cheque is Monday lunch).

He then via a third party accuses me of theft even though I was supervised while cleaning out my desk (personal items only) and caught on CCTV and reported me to the police.

Any suggestions ? ,

I'm not one to be vengeful and I was fine about being pushed since I was going to leave anyway , should I leave this out of my cv and say the job before that lasted till last week?.

What are the rules about giving bad untruthful references from previous disgrunted bosses?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:31 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Never ending work update Reply with quote

If you weren't in it for that long, I would just classify it as 'temporary work'.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:37 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left a job a few years ago under "not exactly good terms" also. I'm not really the type to lie on my CV, so I've always put them down for a reference.

After the two interviews for my current job, they applied for references. I was called back in for a third interview, where it was explained to me that some of the references they'd had back were "less than favourable", and could I try and explain why. They wouldn't tell me what had been written (for legal reasons, they said), and just wanted me to go through anything I thought might have come up. I explained everything honestly (treated badly by management, so I got very petty and abused the fact that the company I was working for took 18 months to sack anyone. 15 months into the disciplinary process, I quit, using my manager as the reason. I was very, very childish about it.)

I still got the job, and my boss told me that HR had said I came across as very humble, and didn't seem to be trying to hide anything. Honesty is the best policy, and the person interviewing you will appreciate that you tell them the truth (bearing in mind you won't know what they actually know, so it's easy ot be caught in a lie).

They've not told me what was on the reference, and I was tempted to try and find out by applying for a reference for me from a made-up company. In the end, I realised I didn't care.

I've always been told that it's illegal for a company to give a bad reference, and that the worst thing they are allowed to do is provide nothing but a record of attendance, and confirm that you held the position you claimed. This will be seen as a bad reference. However, knowing the immaturity of the boss I had problems with, she would have told them whatever she could to try and "win". Thought about suing her, but again realised I didn't care.

As a final point, I would have thought that lying about the dates you worked at your previous jobs would be worse. This company definitely checked that I hadn't lied to them about where I'd worked, for how long, and what position and salary I had. I think that if the dates hadn't matched up along with the bad reference, they probably wouldn't have given me the third interview to explain myself.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:50 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobB wrote:
Honesty is the best policy, and the person interviewing you will appreciate that you tell them the truth (bearing in mind you won't know what they actually know, so it's easy ot be caught in a lie).

Depends on the person interviewing you Smile.

If you want to be really cheeky, find a friend who you were 'working for' for this time and get them to write you a reference, then you know exactly what's been said Very Happy.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at the same place (Bae Systems) for just under 20 years. when I asked for a reference my manager told me that it was against company policy so he wouldn't give me one. I got in touch with personell who confirmed what he said. All I got was a letter stating I worked there from 1981-1999. Bastards.
I later did some agency work for another firm, who gave me a glowing reference for a mere 5 weeks work.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:34 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Never ending work update Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

He then via a third party accuses me of theft even though I was supervised while cleaning out my desk (personal items only) and caught on CCTV and reported me to the police.

Any suggestions ? ,

Well, if you didn't steal anything, you have nothing to worry about. They will have no proof. It is impossable to build a case for theft with no evidence.

Hell, someone at my work was caught fair and square on CCTV helping herself to several hundred pounds out of the cash box and the police still wouldn't do anything because the tape didn't have a date stamp.

To be honest, sounds like you are well out of there. Put the place down on your CV as employment and the dates you were there but nothing else.

You can put whoever you want for a reference, doesn't even have to be an employer (although it looks a bit funny if at least one of them isn't a recent employer). I wouldn't want the arsehole you were working for doing me a reference.

If they ask about it, just tell them the truth. Say your boss phoned you out of the blue at 3am on a Sunday morning and wanted you to come in to take a delivery. When you told him it was not conveniant, he sacked you with no warning. Any employer who would hold that against you is not worth working for in the first place.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1