Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

eBay; how dodgy is this?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: eBay; how dodgy is this? Reply with quote

I'm undecided. Got a laptop for sale on eBay and received this message earlier. Normally I delete these without even thinking, but what do I have to lose if they pay up front? (Contact details altered, obviously...) Seller has 0 feedback which probably helps answer the question for me. All else being equal, this'll be going into deleted items too...

Potential Dodgy Bastard wrote:

seller, will you accept the sum of £700 for the item and £50 postage cost..i will like to buy if for my mum in the UNITED STATE she stays in GEOGIA ...pls i wil be paying with postal order..notify at *****@yahoo.com if my offer is accept by replying me your full name and contact address where the postal order will be sent to immediatley or send me a text message on ***** for more details.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:42 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bin it myself, if it seems too good to be true it normally is.

But that said, it's gotta be your call.

Mike

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:47 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd scrub out the 'Potential' from that quote! Wink

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill it.

But I fail to see how they can scam you with a postal order? Neutral Question

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 22:02 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bin it mate, this scam has been used before. Saw a guy who lost a car to it, starts off postal order then changes to cq or cc, the one i saw was a cq.

The bank told him the funds had cleared so he released the car,only for the funds to be withdrawn the next day as it was dodgy.

Ebay couldnt help as it was done outside their system,the fact he has said it is for his mums birthday puts a time factor into to hurry you into sending it Thumbs Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant help thinking the shite spelling and grammar may flag it up as dodgy. See how long you can string him along for a laugh... Very Happy

Last edited by swampy on 22:46 - 20 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 22:32 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely dodgy as f*ck....Why would someone need to purchase a laptop from the UK to send to the US? There must be millions of cheap laptops kicking about in the US! Thumbs Down Scamming bastard if you ask me

haGGard
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:33 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

His English isnt very good for an American Confused

I'd ignore it, or have some fun at his expense Very Happy Wink

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:35 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it was a scam, even if was a postal order I am not sure if we can accept P.O.s in this country from abroad. Aside from that I would love to be cleverer enough to be able to scam them back. Another post I mentioned this but if anyone recieves what they think is a dodgy cheque, the correct wording to the bank to make sure if the cheque has cleared is to say "has the cheque been given value by the bank!"
Hope this helps Thumbs Up

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:06 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a phooked laptop at work if you fancy scamming him back Twisted Evil

Mike Wink

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 23:15 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't like to give my address to anyone like that.

They always make up shitty stories, 'I would like to buy it for my mum'. I had some tool giving me shit once because all he wanted was ''food for his children in Iraq or something''.

Ask for his address to send the laptop to, and send him some Bird Flu.

WR

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if on cue...

eBay email wrote:
Our records indicate that you recently sent an email to or received an email from jannie5422 through the eBay email system (for example, you may have sent an email to this member through Ask Seller a Question or received an email from this member through Contact eBay Member).

Sometimes eBay accounts are used to send email solicitations for transactions outside of eBay, or to send unrelated questions in hopes that you will respond so that the other party can obtain your email address. We wanted you to be aware of the potential fraud risk these solicitations pose and encourage you to be cautious about the email you received from this member.

Please keep in mind, sales that take place outside of eBay are not eligible for any eBay or PayPal protective services and you run the risk of losing your money or your item if you complete these transactions. We would encourage you to review the eBay pages related to Fraud Protection at the address provided below for information on steps you can take to ensure that your transactions are successful...etc etc.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 06:01 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with kwaker6r
a cheque can appear to clear and you get the money, but then the bank has it back again and you cant do anything

i have heard about this before but dont know how it works

XS1954
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:58 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would he want to buy a laptop to send to America? Are Laptops not for sale in America? SCAM!!

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:22 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

where that website that messes with Scammers, you should string them along for a while. Seriously if you waste their time they are dealing with you instead of them scaming someone else.

I think its a scam, why anyone want a second hand laptop for you mother for UK if you US?? Esp since i could get droped in transit etc and would mess the laptop up.

Even if its not i wouldnt take the risk Thumbs Up

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:30 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him yes, if he sends a postal order, send him the laptop. Any other lark, send him nothing. Don't end the listing, if a scammer he wont care anyway. bunch of cnuts. Laughing

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.419eater.com/

Cool Cool Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1