Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Religious ramblings...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:01 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Religious ramblings... Reply with quote

I had to do this, perhaps just to put it down somewhere and read it back to myself but comments more than welcome.

Being Atheist I find myself watching the news recently and thinking to myself, these people, apparently want peace, peace between race and peace in the communities, here and overseas.
Although I do hear the leaders of the world say they do, I can’t help but think, for example Mr Bush, doesn’t give two shits about any one else’s religion and just wants peace for other reasons.

This is painful to watch TBH, I believe that my family and friends are the most important things in my life and so I think it is my duty to try and spread the word that this is a good thing and people should try to forget about their moon gods and get down to what’s important.
There are Christians, Muslims, Jews and whoever else out there that believe there is something out there pretty god like and they must do as it says in their little book, they may go to church and live a very peaceful life, not giving anyone any beef ever.
But this I find is still so wrong, as you have the extreme believers making out as if everyone is into religion and if you believe in ‘******* ---place belief here’, your going to get it.

Why then do I have to be involved?
I don’t try to offend Allah, god, whoever on purpose, I might throw the odd comment out but I will say the same thing about all of them.
Religion IMO has no place in 2006, these extremists we are dealing with currently believe that what we do is an offence and we should have our throats cut for it. I don’t know why, perhaps it’s because in the evolutionary scale they are runners up, they seem so far in the past and that’s what worries me.

War currently taking place in the east has sparked many a row over religion, most of the Muslim population there see us as offensive people in the west. There was that spaz about the cartoons of Allah a little while back, protests were held in this country for some reason and the main bug bear they seemed to have was the fact it looked like the cartoons were mocking their religion.
So, simply put, they were offended by the cartoons but obviously the background to all this build up hasn’t helped us out much as we know already, because of differences in religious opinions, i.e. how we go about our daily lives and our outlook on life we have paid the price, attacks have taken place and we have grieved for our wrong doings.

But there you go, I’ve just said it ‘our’ wrong doings, and I shouldn’t be involved. The protesters when spoken to say things like “Your time is coming”, their boards said things that I found very offensive purely because I’ve had, and never will had anything to do with this.
If I don’t believe in anything apart from we’re all worm food at the end of the day, so how am I one of these ‘infidels’ they speak of?
Is there anyone in the east who is Atheist, I’d love to know.

When I hear speakers talking over here about the westerner scum and the bush as the ultimate in evil they talk as if we’re all in it together or something.
Religion for me is a fucking waste of human life, and the worst thing about it is, some of these mindless dummies cant see past it and probably wont for over a century to come, and I fear it will be too little too late for anyone.

You could take a few groups of people who are serious about their religious/non religious stance in one room, over dinner, with as much drink as they want. There might be a lot of healthy debate, but one things for sure, non of them would get along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that without religion in this world we would be living in near peace.

There would still be greed, violence, theft and poverty but I believe any conflict would be solveable on some human common ground through trade, compromise and partnership and even simple physical threat.
Religion pushes people beyond the realms of human instinct and logic and that's when any chance of agreement breaks down and everyone suffers.
George bush/Blair is as much of a religious lunatic as anyone else, when they mention 'god' in relation to thier politics it makes me shudder.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:53 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reply Dave.....ta

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 11:54 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killa you are spot on, but the imbeciles who will continue to believe in a superior religion will not suddenly vanish from existence, unfortunately not even Darwins law of Natural Selection will do this.

Need to find an island on earth where Athiests can hang out.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to opt out of the madness and live away in a society where simple logic and basic decency reigns.
Maybe athiests should at least have thier own identifiable 'religious' garment to wear, sort of like a turban. Maybe just a simple baseball cap with a slogan, something like:

'Don't blow me up, I'm on your side'

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:21 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

akaDAVE wrote:
It would be nice to opt out of the madness and live away in a society where simple logic and basic decency reigns.
Maybe athiests should at least have thier own identifiable 'religious' garment to wear, sort of like a turban. Maybe just a simple baseball cap with a slogan, something like:

'Don't blow me up, I'm on your side'

However, that would make us just as bad as "them".

I'm for individuality.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 12:30 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
unfortunately not even Darwins law of Natural Selection will do this..

As Dave mentioned there would still be killing, greed, and all that but it would be for a completely different set of reasons when speaking of this sort of situation.

Jon B wrote:
Need to find an island on earth where Athiests can hang out.

I guess I feel like I’m being spoken to by a bunch of people who think they know what the real deal is, when in reality they seriously don’t understand how much I don’t give a fuck about Allah, or god, or some other space wizard.

Our leaders are our leaders, without them many many aspects of the country would crumble unfortunately.
I wish that these extremists who despise us just stepped back for a minute and used the brain power to sort out who they should be focusing their efforts on.
I said it before and I’ll say it again, these backward people talk as if I am part of what is to blame in western society, they should be clever enough to see things just move on how they want to, I mean, a hell of a lot of them live over here.

Atheists don’t go on TV sprouting the same crap as far as I know, Christian mentalists, such as that woman on CNN, talk about people dieing is a good thing and God is just sorting it all out etc…..FFS people, you need start reading into science more, reason, reality, the sorts of things that are in our daily lives.
What is more, although I don’t like it much myself, they also need to get a fucking proper job, work and earn some money, build, invest, using ingenuity to build a future for their children.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

religion is man made war! i hate it all. i wa brought up catholic and had it punded into my head i would go to hell fr silly things are now after seeing so many killed,shot,beatin in the troubles in NI over it its all a loud of bullox!

we are very humourous over here now aday to eachother. usually a slagging mtch but recently up the road on a certain night they where burning stuff to start riots again. so its all kicked off as usual,

and its all over stupid religion!

if you wanna believe something believe in yourself!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:53 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesronally, sadly, I think religion is used more as an excuse for human nature, than as the instigator of problems.
We see plenty of hatred which is not rooted in religion, from the personal level to countries of the same religion fighting each other, often spouting off about god being on their side.

Most religions, including Islam, do to some degree teach peace and forgiveness. However it's very easy for 'people' to change the meaning or just ignore the meaning and use it as a vessel for hate.

Why do the extremists hate us all? Look at the number of people on here that have grouped all Muslims, all arabs etc together and said they should 'go home' from our country, are all scum to the extremes that many have suggested they should 'all' be shot.
Doesn't explain why, apart from perhaps human nature, to hate.

I'm often amazed that the same emotions, though not to quite this degree usually, can be seen displayed in relation to football teams as well. Unfortunately it does seem to be something humans like to do.

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:02 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Religious ramblings... Reply with quote

killa wrote:
IWhy then do I have to be involved?
I don’t try to offend Allah, god, whoever on purpose, I might throw the odd comment out but I will say the same thing about all of them.

thing is-to most religious people, everyone is involved whether you like it or not.thats life.
you may say you try not to offend God, but the greatest offence is that you have turned your back on him and refuse to serve him, so.....

another thing....you're an athiest, but you say you try not to offend "allah", or "god" (same thing-different language)-but doesn't that mean you admit something or someone is there when you speak of a god?
just curious

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:03 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Religious ramblings... Reply with quote

I presumed he meant that he didn't do things that would offend the people that did believe in their god.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 23 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd hate Manchester , people come up to you and try converting you, trying the old tricks on you

Pascals Gamble

The clockmaker

The concept of evil and its existance

fearism

etc

I have logical counters to all these and if I can be bothered and don't walk away I convert them back.

I remember a funny thing ,which happened ages ago to a mate i've not seen for years ,

one of his mates fell for Pascals gamble, and immediately converted to Islam on the spot , he then went on about the fallacy of Pascal's gamble* and he converted back to atheism

(*the fallacy of pascals gamble is that pascal says theres nothing to lose, this is incorrect in that what if the deity you worship is not the true one surely punishment will be harsh for choosing the wrong one , since there are many to choose from).
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:29 - 23 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Religious ramblings... Reply with quote

G wrote:
I presumed he meant that he didn't do things that would offend the people that did believe in their god.

Yeah but seeing as god only exists in the mind of nutcases what might offend them is of no importance to any sane person.

No person should ever have to lead their life according to what the invisible man in the sky says we should do.

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:25 - 23 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Laughing

Religion is the best get out of jail card ever.

You can do anything in your life from stealing a pack of gum to f**king a 10 year old (bit strong but i want to get my point across)
through to strapping yourself to dynamite and blowing up a bus full of people.

All the messages are the same repent/belive and ye shall be saved/have eternal life.

No matter what you do in your life religions make it okay in the end, some are so good they even encourage you to commit suffering on your fellow man/non belivers and ye shall be rewarded.

Ya know i have more respect for the germans during world war 2 who were involved in crimes at least they never blamed what they did on an invisible man in the sky.

If you ever meet a relgious person they might be a stranger they might be someone you've known all your life ask them how did god reveal himself to them?

They might struggle to answer this but when they do you'll understand why i say anyone who belives in a god is a nutjob Wink

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:39 - 23 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral wrote:
anyone who belives in a god is a nutjob

Here here, a pint for that man!

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That was my sig for a while.

Religion kills more people each year than cancer. Time for a world wide ban.

Jubal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:05 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked one back on my freeview remote from BBC1 the other night to some religious radio channel, some American preacher was spewing out an almost constant monotone stream of utter bilge. Sick

Talk about brainwashing!

I listened for a while fasinated at how anyone could be taken in by him and his bloody fairy story. He's probably on a nice little earner though. Wink

This is the 21st century for Pete's sake, give us a break will ya!!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:23 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ultimate irony is that the Jews, Christians and Muslims all worship the same god, just via a different prophet.

The Muslims believe that all other forms of religion are beneath them. The Jews believe all the others are wrong and they have the right to do as they please because they are gods chosen people.
The Christians believe it is their duty to convert others to believe the same as they do.

Put all three in a small area of land (which incidentally sits on top of billions of dollars worth of oil) which they all believe was gifted to them by god to do with as they please and you have a recipe for disaster.

This is the problem with faith. It is a tangiable thing which requires no justification or rationality. The abscence of a thing such as you find in atheism is hard to stand against it.

Although perhaps atheism is the wrong term for most peoples form of belief. An atheist actively denies the existance of god, which under some religions (or interpretations thereof) is a crime in itself, noteably under the laws in THIS country. Blasphemy is a criminal offence.

I think most people who call themselves atheists are actually proponants of the religion of apathy, they really couldn't give a shit either way. A religious fundamentallist cannot even comprehend that this standpoint can exist.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 03:15 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
An atheist actively denies the existance of god, which under some religions (or interpretations thereof) is a crime in itself, noteably under the laws in THIS country. Blasphemy is a criminal offence.

/me wait's patiently for the armed response unit to cave my door in.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

(not speaking direct to someone)but..........

how the f*uck is it ok to kill people? what gets that into peoples heads? isnt one of the commandments i shall not kill? i just think some people are warped if they think they can kill innocent people for god.

what is there RE class like at school wonder ? Question

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:32 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:

what is there RE class like at school wonder ? Question

I read an article recently (probably about 6 months ago knowing me!) in the Guardian investigating the type of education young Muslims are receiving.

A large number of Islamic children attend the equivalent of a Sunday School, and it is here that most of the extremist fundamentals are taught - to the most impressionable. Thumbs Down
It was also noted that the more involved the area was in the turbulance the more extreme the education. These children are scared and so are turning to their respected leaders who are teaching them retaliation and violence to strengthem them.
Whilst I can see the logic, I disagree with this.

The majority of Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus etc are very privately religious and peaceful with it. Like all walks of life, it only takes a couple of nutters to get together and spoil it for the rest of them.

For a great number of British Asians their religion is more a way of maintaining their culture and strengthening their culteral identity rather than any real relationship with the man up there.

Religion had it's place in ancient times when things were detrimental to people's health. For example - eating Pork, it may seem a really daft thing to us to exclude one meat from your diet, but at the time pork was suffering the equivalent of BSE (though probably worse). Having lots of sex with lots of different people was dangerous etc etc.

Edit: And the Sabbath is a wicked idea - everyone needs a holiday!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1