Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1996 YZF600 RPM Error Code and Revving Problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alexomidov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:32 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: 1996 YZF600 RPM Error Code and Revving Problem Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm located in the US and own a 96 Yamaha YZF600, this is not a Thundercat but the generation before that (I believe it was only produced in 1995 and 96. (will attach a photo if I can)

This bike has a different fuel pump assembly than both the FZR and the Thundercat, pump and sensor are both inside the tank with no mechanical petcock, there's only an electric button on the left side fairing that you can switch between on and reserve.

I recently went through the carbs and tank and rebuilt the fuel system, the bike runs good with 2 issues that might be related or not.

1- not at the start but after a couple minutes the tachometer starts cycling between the current RPM, 0 and 8000 RPM. My research says it's a fuel light issue but the light bulb works, the fuel reserve button works and the fuel pump/sensor connector is good (Checked it). The only thing haven't checked is the fuel level sensor, could that be the issue?

2- The bike doesn't like to rev over 7-8k. In 1st and 2nd gear it struggles at around 6k but if I push it it goes over and at around 9k it feels like a totally different animal, so much power! In the higher gears though, it won't go over 7-8k at all, in fact if I push it bugs down and goes even slower!

Does anyone know what the issue is here? I'm so confused!
Could it be all related to the RPM error code? Or I have 2 separate issues?

Appreciate any tips.

Last edited by Alexomidov on 20:15 - 14 May 2024; edited 1 time in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess

Two separate issues. I'd be stripping the carbs and looking for anomalies, or damage to diaphragms etc..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe the 8000rpm code means fuel level sensor fault

check that youve plugged the electrical wire from the tank back in if its the same set up as my ace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexomidov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:25 - 14 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
My guess

Two separate issues. I'd be stripping the carbs and looking for anomalies, or damage to diaphragms etc..

Thanks but carbs have been off twice, all components are fully checked or replaced. I don't think the issue is in the carbs.
I need to fix the RPM error first and if that doesn't fix the second issue then will go after it.

Alexomidov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:27 - 14 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
i believe the 8000rpm code means fuel level sensor fault

check that youve plugged the electrical wire from the tank back in if its the same set up as my ace.

Yes, I know the error and everything is connected. I checked the connector, wiring and the button but they're all good. Could it be the sensor itself? Inside the tank?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:59 - 15 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had the pump out? Assuming its the in tank insert rather than the inline 1 in 1 out smaller pump.

They have a filter on them internally, mine was absolutely wrecked and gave a very similar feeling.

Its fuel and gunk in there can cause a myriad of errors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexomidov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:11 - 15 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:
Have you had the pump out? Assuming its the in tank insert rather than the inline 1 in 1 out smaller pump.

They have a filter on them internally, mine was absolutely wrecked and gave a very similar feeling.

Yes, it's inside the tank. Actually I had it out to make sure all connections are good and the pump works as it should and everything was good but I didn't see any filter in there!
Maybe it's missing the filter completely? Could this be the reason my bike is bugging down at 7-8k RPM?

Alexomidov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:13 - 15 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexomidov wrote:
P. wrote:

Yes, it's inside the tank. Actually I had it out to make sure all connections are good and the pump works as it should and everything was good but I didn't see any filter in there!
Maybe it's missing the filter completely? Could this be the reason my bike is bugging down at 7-8k RPM?

Forgot to mention that since I didn't see any filter inside that tank I added an inline filter outside to the fuel line. Plus the tank is pretty clean, so I don't think any gunk would pass the filter.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 15 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

On point 2, my ‘99 ZX6R had similar issues at 55k miles. The Dynojet needles had corrosion or wear on them. I replaced those needles and jets and haven’t had a problem since.

https://i.postimg.cc/T1Y2JV3d/IMG_0185.jpg

There were marks on the diaphragm slides too (as shown) but I reused them without issue.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:48 - 16 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a filter in line won't be a problem but they tend to be directional.

Could be worth a strip of the carbs and check each part as above.

Alexomidov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:08 - 17 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
On point 2, my ‘99 ZX6R had similar issues at 55k miles. The Dynojet needles had corrosion or wear on them. I replaced those needles and jets and haven’t had a problem since.

https://i.postimg.cc/T1Y2JV3d/IMG_0185.jpg

There were marks on the diaphragm slides too (as shown) but I reused them without issue.

Thanks for the comment but I just went through the carbs, all these parts (slides, needles, jets and everything else) were either super clean and I cleaned them even more or replaced them.

Alexomidov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:11 - 17 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:
Adding a filter in line won't be a problem but they tend to be directional.

Could be worth a strip of the carbs and check each part as above.

I'll double check the filter for direction. Carbs were striped and thoroughly cleaned 2 times in a week so I'm confident that there's no issues with the jets, needles, slides and passages.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:36 - 20 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you strip and clean them? Photos etc

Alexomidov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:27 - 20 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:

Yes, I cleaned everything, replaced all jets, screws and filters with new parts. everything was like brand new when I put them back together.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 20 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexomidov wrote:
P. wrote:

Yes, I cleaned everything, replaced all jets, screws and filters with new parts. everything was like brand new when I put them back together.

Yes but what about the enrichment/choke fuel circuit and pilot circuit? these usually terminate at some tiny holes by the butterfly valve

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1